Eavesdropping

I think I have new neighbours next door. I don't know when they moved in. I mean, in between all that renovating and sand papering, I didn't know when the place would ever get ready. I woke up this morning to some wonderful music coming from the house though. And, I couldn't stop smiling. In normal circumstances, these guys sound really good. But, when you're used to listening to your drunk neighbours trying to sing in tune to "Sex on Fire" while trying to wake up the entire neighbourhood at the same time, you'll know what I'm talking about. You won't stop smiling as well. I hope I can wake up to this every day.

I walked into this second hand book store because I wanted to pick up books for my vacation in a couple of week. As always, the sci-fi section is always well stocked. I thought I'd go and pick up a couple of Pratchetts, but apparently, "he's very popular" the store lady says. So, I sulked around the fantasy section trying to find someone who might be as good as Terry Pratchett. None of the usuals I knew were around. I picked up these two really random books by this guy called Richard Jarvis. I've never heard of him before, but I like the cover. And hey, you know what they say about books and covers.

I picked up M M Kaye's Far Pavilions as well. I feel like I'm destined not to read this book you know. I remember I started reading it when I was in high school. It was a library book and I had to return it by the end of the term and didn't finish it. I remember loving it though. I found it in the Google library before I went to Dublin in 2005. Apparently, three months in Dublin was not enough. I'm hoping that maybe a month by myself in New Zealand might be the time I actually finish it.

Issac Asimov. I've heard so much about him being a really good sci-fi writer. I don't think I'm a fan of sci-fi anyway. But, I thought, it's only four dollars, let me see what the big fuss is about. I picked up this book called 'Through a Glass, Clearly.' I've only read two pages, but Oh my God! Is all sci-fi writing like this? Or is this just Asimov? He's brilliant. Thank you, second hand bookstore. Oh, and thank you, musically gifted neighbours.

Comments

Popular Posts