4 things I learned after I started my weight loss journey.

Two months and five kilograms later, I wanted to share a few key things that I learned during this journey.

This doesn't mean that the weight loss journey is over. I've still got another 6-8 kilos to go.


1) Consistent weight loss is close to impossible without a change in your diet and subsequently a change in your lifestyle.  With me, I realised that I ate too much sugar. Almost every day. So, I decided to cut down on it drastically. I still take small amounts of it unintentionally. In processed foods like ketchup and in my fruits and vegetables. This also means that I avoid eating out as much as I can. I cut down on my processed food intake as well and cook as much as I'm able to. I've also realised that this can't be just a six month phase. Eating healthy has to be a life time commitment.

2) Forgive yourself when you cheat. The first two weeks of my weight loss journey is when I lost the most weight. I also cheated twice, and I didn't beat myself up about it at all. Now, however, every time I take a drink or have a small piece of chocolate, I feel terrible and guilty. Until today, when I realised that while I will mostly make good decisions in my diet, I need to totally forgive myself when I make the occasional bad mistake. My body will thank me for it. Especially since this is a complete lifestyle change.

This is something I might cheat with.

3) Actually seeing your body becoming fitter is the best motivation you could ever have for wanting to lose weight. I can actually see the slightest bit of muscle on my upper arms, upper back, abs and upper thighs. It gave me the best high I could ever want, and I more determined now about continuing with the diet and with Crossfit.

This is the kind of body I'd like to have eventually

4) Be patient. I have realised that with the occasional cheat meals and snacks and with exercising only 3 times a week, reaching my desired weight is going to take a lot longer than I expected. And, I need to be okay with that. I can't expect everything to be like it was in the first two weeks. The important thing is that I don't gain the weight back and maintain a consistent loss. Even if it's just 200 grams a week.

Comments

  1. Hi, I found your blog from your recent comment on Kate's blog at eatthedamncake.com. I used to read her blog regularly a few years ago when she posted more on body image issues, and I still wander off there once every couple of months to see if she's written anything new that's interesting.

    Anyway, I'm 37, male, single and living in Bangalore. I've struggled with weight and self-esteem issues in the past myself, so I can relate to what you write. Hang in there, you are on the right track! I write this comment just to say you are not alone. Nobody can solve your issues except you, but do message me on the link I've posted if you would like to discuss. I've found my own solutions for my own struggles, and they may not work for you, but I guess additional perspectives can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, this is really thoughtful. Thank you. Unfortunately, I'd like me and my blog to be anonymous, so I won't be able to message you on your Facebook profile. Thanks for offering though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts