A decade

Exactly ten years ago, and maybe even around the same time, I was introduced to the internet. I distinctly remember it was at the computer lab in my sister's college in Mysore. I mean, I'd heard about it and everything, but didn't really think much about it at the time. I also remember that when I was in Kottyam, it was Rs 90 for an hour!I think that's when I decided the internet was not for me. But hey, if I could access it for free in my sister's computer lab, why not give it a go. I'm always up for new experiences. She created an email account for me on hotmail and introduced me to batchmates.com. For a few months, I thought that people created email addresses to be on batchmates. I wonder whatever happened to that website. Oh yeah, social networking happened to it.
I moved to Bangalore and found people addicted to IRC. Remember that? IRC? Actually, it was IRC and Indiatimes. You know, people turn their noses down on online dating. Ten years ago though, everyone I knew was on IRC and meeting random strangers. Everyone. At least, online dating sites are more transparent about intentions. Then, you didn't really know what would happen. Scary, how trusting we were of strangers.

Comments

Popular Posts