Khmer tales

I'm at Siem Reap now. Been here for half a day and already I love it more than Phnom Penh. To be fair, I didn't go out much in Phnom Penh. I pretty much stuck to my hotel. Did the whole killing fields thing. The few times I did go out though, everything just felt so chaotic. I never thought there'd be a country with traffic as bad as India. Thailand's traffic is pretty bad, but, I've always felt it was organised and they had some sort of respect for traffic rules. Phnom Penh though. Boy, just all over the place. No respect for lanes, no indicators, no stopping for pedestrians, no following traffic lights. I love it. Reminds me of home.
My hotel in Phnom Penh was gorgeous though. Lovely room. Lovely pool. Food is a bit limited. Really strong cosmopolitans. I'm pretty sure I got ripped off by a lot of tuk tuk drivers and shop keepers. I don't mind though. It's fine. I'm going back there again for a day just before I leave for Delhi.

I'm not very happy with my hotel in Siem Reap. As soon as I arrived, I was so disappointed. The room smelled funny. I hated the bathroom. The people at the reception didn't speak good English and weren't very helpful at all. I was in this strange despair. I'm like, oh damn. I'm stuck in this city for another seven days. What the hell am I going to do? Then, I walked out. Got a massage. Walked to pub street which is less than a minute away. And, fell in love with the location. This hotel has the best location possible. Just really close to everything. I love it. I'm going to look for another place close by so that I don't have to walk around too much. I got myself a guide book also, so, I'm thinking of doing all the temples. There's about three temples that I definitely have to visit: Angkor Vat, Ta Prohm, and Bayon. There are a few others in the vicinity as well that I can plan over the course of these seven days. Seven days! In a place without a pool. All by myself. I'm a little scared. But, hopefully, things will go well.

Comments

Popular Posts