Khmer Tales continued

I've visited most of the famous temples in Siem Reap. Did Angkor Vat for the sunset. The next day, I went to Ta Prohm, Bayon and Angkor Thom. Got up at 4:30 for the sunrise. It was a lot of walking, so I was really tired by 11 o clock and just wanted to go back to my hotel room and sleep. The one thing I liked about going to these temples is that every half an hour or so, I'll find a quiet place to myself and write in my little notebook. Write and write furiously. Things that have been bothering, things that are on my mind. I think most of my self reflecting happens only when I write things down.

Anyway, I went to Angkor Vat at about 2:30. It's a gorgeous temple. Really really big. But, the crowd. Oh my God. It was like a rock concert. So many people. It's ridiculous. I think I might just go back to watch the sun rise there one of these days.

All the other important temples are all in the Angkor Temple Complex. I wouldn't recommend cycling. It gets really hot after 10:00 am. I did see a lot of people attempting it though. Brave souls.

The sunrise the next day at Ta Prohm was amazing. The temple itself is beautiful. All those ruins. I could sit in that temple all day, I think. The Bayon temple and Angkor Thom are pretty good, but it's one of things where you need a guide. I did walk around a bit on my own, but unless you know where things are, you're kind of just walking around from one ruin to another without really knowing what it is. And, at 10 o clock in the morning with the sun beating down on me, I wasn't in the mood.

I wore these comfortable slippers to Angkor Vat, and my converse shoes and jeans the next day for the three temples. You just need to wear comfortable shoes. I wore jeans on both days, but I noticed a lot of tourists wearing shorts. You just need to carry a sarong and wrap it around yourself when you're visiting the actual places of worship.

I found one tuk tuk driver who's been driving me around everywhere. He seems nice enough. Doesn't seem to be fleecing me. I've realised that you spend all your money on tuk tuks in Siem Reap. They're quite expensive. Although, Siem Reap is one of the poorest provinces in Cambodia. I don't mind giving them the money. I can clearly afford it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to this temple that's about 30 kms from the town. It's 20 dollars by tuk tuk. I've heard it's pretty wonderful. And, there are a few things on the way that I can see as well. So, I'm looking forward to that.

Comments

Popular Posts