For the love of sugar

I don't know why I like to give up things for Lent. I'm not Catholic. I'm not even a devout Christian. I suppose Christianity is the religion I identify with the most since I grew up with it. It's just comfortable for me to identify myself as a Christian and Christmas is my favourite and most magical holiday. But, this Lent thing. Maybe it's because I grew up in a Catholic school. Anyway, my ambiguous feelings about Christianity aside, I've been giving up things for Lent for the last few years. I always give up alcohol. It's not especially tough to give up alcohol. Except for last year when I was tempted to drink quite a few times. 

Anyway, this year, in addition to giving up sugar, I thought I'd give up sugar. I mean, it's 40 days, right? My sister's given up carbs for more than a year. I can give up sugar for 40 days. At least, that's what I thought. The first day went fine. I announced it to the family. Told my mum not to feed me anything sweet. And then I caved on the second day. There was a box of sweets lying there. I didn't even want to eat it. But before, I knew it, I'd eaten one piece and then I went back for seconds. I felt guilty for a bit, but decided to give up the sugar fast. At least, I still had the alcohol one.

Then, I'd decided to give up sugar for the month of March. You know, to aid in weight loss because I'm getting to a size that I just cannot recognise. I didn't even last half a day. Can people get addicted to sugar? I tell myself that I'm only going to have sugar once a day. But some days, I can't even hold myself to that. It's a problem, right? Yeah, okay, I know it's a problem. Maybe I should just start exercising.


Can you imagine giving up something like this?


Comments

Popular Posts