Who knew Singapore would make such a fuss about a tourist visa?

So, here I was thinking that getting a Singapore visa would be relatively easy. I mean, I have been there twice before. Once on a business visa, and the other on a tourist. It seems like cakewalk because they are promoting tourism in India like crazy.

Here's the catch. There's no way for an individual to apply for a visa. You HAVE to go through a travel agency. An approved agency, but an agency nonetheless. I'm okay with that. I went to Thomas Cook. They seem reputable enough. And, their office is pretty close to my gym, so it was convenient. Now, on the website, they say it takes about two days to process the visa. But, the consulate is in Chennai and the by the time the agency couriers things to Chennai and gets it back, they say seven days. I was okay with the seven days because it gave me plenty of time before I traveled. Here's where the screw up happened. After seven days, the agency tells me that the consulate requires a No Objection letter from my mother. Me, the 29 year old woman who's been to at least fifteen countries on her own, requires a letter from my mother stating that she has no objection to me traveling to Singapore for a holiday. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard, but I gave them the letter. The next day, they come back saying they needed proof that it was her signature. I mean, obviously. That makes sense. It could be anybody's signature otherwise. But, I wish they'd told me this when they told me about the letter. I moved hell and earth and got them the signature proof. I call them today and they tell me that the consulate is processing my visa, and I will only hear back from them on Monday or Tuesday. Which really, is too late for me to even reapply in case they need another document. So, here I am. Stuck with non-refundable tickets, waiting on a visa that may never come, and short by 18 thousand rupees. All because I wanted to take a two week vacation to Singapore.

You know, the next time you come advertising visit Singapore, you better make sure you mention the fine print, like single women can't travel without their parent's permission.

Comments

Popular Posts