I started reading this collection of short stories called 'Stories' edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio again. I'd started it a while back, but somehow the stories couldn't really maintain my attention. A few books later, I decided to give it another try. The stories seem better now. I think I just needed to be in a different frame of mind.

There's this one story by Jeffery Deaver called 'The Therapist.' In it, there's a psychologist that believes there are these unknown entities called 'nemes'. They are:
a discrete body of intangible energy that evokes extreme emotional responses in humans, resulting in behavior that is most often detrimental to the host or to the society in which he or she lives.

Apparently, these nemes just roam around and latch on to a host that is emotionally vulnerable, or particularly weak.

Now, these 'nemes' are just made up by Deaver. (I looked them up, trust me). But, when I first read this, I thought, Oh my God. This is explanation to everything. I am inhabited by a neme. A violent, bitter, angry, selfish neme at that. It's just got to be the reason why I'm so bloody angry all the time. Angry at everyone, and everything! Just everything. And, I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make it better. In the story, nemes disappear when the hosts die. That is, obviously, not an option for me. Maybe, I'm just bored. It's the explanation I give for binge eating. I binge eat every day now. It's not just an occasional thing. I eat till I want to throw up. I haven't felt a twinge of hunger in weeks. Weeks and weeks. Then, I wonder why I'm putting on weight.

Argh. Stupid neme. Will you just leave already.

Comments

Popular Posts