I read a lot when I was in Kerala. I think it's because my mother had a dedicated six-hour time slot where she had to watch TV or else her world would come crashing down. So, I finally finished reading Murakami's 'Underground,' a book I'd been struggling with in Bangalore. ( I liked the first part of his book--his interviews with victims of the gas tragedy. His Aum interviews slowed the book down for me tremendously.)

Finished the epic 900-page 'Sacred Games.' (I'm sorry, it was a complete Bollywood film. The only chapter I liked was the one of the protagonist's mother as a little girl in Punjab. It came early on in the book, and I read the rest hoping to find more chapters like this, but I didn't. A bit of a disappointment.)

Next was 'Diving Bell and the Butterfly.' I have to say that I saw the movie first, and I completely loved it. Loved it. When I was reading the book, I could only visualise the movie. They obviously remained very true to the book, and this is one of the few times, I've enjoyed the movie more than the book.

The last book I read before coming back to Bangalore was 'Above Average' by Amitabh Bagchi. I've read the book before, so I finished it again in about 4 hours. It's not a very memorable book at all which is probably why I didn't remember the story. But, it's an enjoyable read, and I quite liked his writing style.

I'm back in Bangalore now and rereading 'Hungry Tide.' Amitav Ghosh is my favorite Indian author. 'Calcutta Chromosome' will always remain one of my favorite books ever. I don't remember anything from 'Hungry Tide,' except that it was based in the Sunderbans. A friend of mine went to the Sunderbans recently and kept talking about the book, and I felt bad that I couldn't remember anything, so I decided to read it again. Just a few chapters in. Now that I've returned to Bangalore, my book reading is going to be extremely slow. I'm determined not to let that happen, but, let's see how it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts