Ah, those golden drops

I find it difficult to understand how people get addicted to alcohol. I mean, I understand the high you get when you're...well, high. But, doesn't your body just kill you the next day? Mine takes at least a few hours to recover from just a few drinks from the night before. And, there's no way I can imagine even touching a drop of alcohol anytime soon.

I'm sure it has something to do with age. Maybe in my early twenties, I would've been able to stick it out, drink every night. But, in my early twenties, I was in a relationship with a Bihari boy who didn't like me drinking. So, I didn't drink. Yeah, I know, I'm judging myself also now. Point being, I didn't really get a chance to experience this night after night of drinking.

I went to Dublin when I was 23. My first time out of the country (the middle east doesn't count). Yeah, they have a pretty strong drinking culture there. I wasn't much of a beer drinker then, so I kept ordering vodka and lime. Which turned out to be expensive in the long run, so, I stuck to Bulmers cider. (It's very yum, and I have become a cider convert).

Looking back at it now, I think I may have been a bit of a party pooper. The first couple of weeks, I didn't go out with people on weekends even though they invited me because it just wasn't something I did back in India. I'd go to a pub, but excuse myself early because, come on, we have work the next day, and if I'm not home by 11, how am I going to wake up? I didn't know that the Irish have some super human drinking capacity, and can show up for work the next day, bright-eyed, on time with no signs of a hangover.

I discovered that when towards the end of my stay, I decided to stay out till 2:00 a.m. on a week night. I still wasn't the last person to leave the bar. There were at least ten more people there who were convincing me to stay. I went home, woke up with the worst hangover, went to work late and cursed the Irish and their yummy cider. I was going on a road trip with my American housemate that evening, and she loved telling the story of how I threw up like the girl from Exorcist some ten minutes into the trip. To everyone we met on the trip after that.

When it was time for me to leave, I was able to handle the late nights and daily drinking. Then, I came back to India and lost that ability.
Last night, I went out and had six watered down cocktails. I gulped them down like they were juice. I started feeling nauseous, took a walk. Came home, couldn't wake up in the morning to take the dogs out. Basically, I just miss Dublin.

Comments

Popular Posts