Conversations

I have only just come to the realisation that it’s completely okay to have a great conversation or connection with a person only to never hear from them again.


All this while, I kept thinking that every time I had a connection with someone, I needed to pursue it. And then, I’d pursue it and feel disappointed that the other person didn’t feel the same way. 

I attended a wedding over the weekend, and I had a great conversation with a really young boy. When I was leaving, I was so tempted to ask him for his number because I really wanted to hang out with him again. Instead, I shook his hand, said it was a pleasure meeting him and walked away.

The next day, I resisted the urge to find him on Facebook and thought, if he has to find me, he will. Otherwise, I’m going to chalk it up as a fantastic conversation and move on.

I wish I’d learned this earlier on. I think I expect too much out of chance encounters. Even on dates. I keep thinking that if there was the slightest spark, it means it needs to be pursued. You set your expectations so high. It’s only natural that you fall so low when you’re disappointed. It just feels all so forced.


It’s okay. Not all connections need to be pursued. If they have to find you, they will.

Comments

Popular Posts