Don't Be a Snob

I’ve had one of the worst weeks I’ve had in a very long time. And, I never seem to have a friend available to talk about it. Also, whenever I talk to my friends about something that’s bothering me, I don’t know why I always feel the need to apologise afterwards. Like, I’m so sorry for wasting your time with this really trivial problem even when I know you’ve got other important stuff going on.

I feel like I’m isolating myself the older I get. Unintentionally though. I just enjoy spending time with myself more than I enjoy the company of others. Sometimes, I get so annoyed when I have to go out and meet people. I must be one of the few people who actually hates having a life. Not all of the time though. Very occasionally, I will feel like going out and in that case, I will.

I have come to realise that being an introvert is an acceptable social condition. Maybe not so much in India because over here, I think people still don’t get it. But, it’s an acceptable condition. People understand that you will not get along with big groups of people, or that you’d rather stay in than go out to a club. I used to think it was because I was a snob. People have actually called me that. It wasn’t until recently that I figured out that I’m actually an introvert. And, all those articles out there that were doing the rounds last year, I identified with every single one of them. Now that I know, I guess I can stop feeling guilty about being anti-social. Or, whatever it is that people like to call me.


If you haven’t seen this video of Tanya Davis’ poem - How To Be Alone - you should. It’s my absolute favourite. I watch it at least once in two weeks.


Comments

Popular Posts