Fitness Post

I'm cross posting from here

It's my first in what I hope to be a series of posts about my fitness goals. Fingers crossed everyone. All other posts will obviously go on the appropriately named 'Fitness Chronicles.'

I know starting a fitness blog is not anything new. Especially one that was started in a fit of enthusiasm and now lies defunct. It's so cliched, I want to bury my head in the sand.

But, I'm hoping that this will help me in some way with my fitness goals and my attempt to lose weight. I'm willing to try everything. Right now, I'm pretty good with the exercising. It's the diet that keeps letting me down. I've been exercising pretty regularly from March. I've been in the 64 kg mark for a long time now. Even when I took a four month break and ate whatever I felt like. Then, I went home to Kerala for about three weeks, didn't watch what I ate and came back at 66. I was okay with that. Got even more serious about the exercising. When I started exercising in March, I was very half hearted about the cardio. I only came to the gym when I had a session with my trainer. In May, I thought okay, let me do more cardio and start working out a bit more. That's when the weight gain started. Two weeks into my work out, I was 68. This has never happened to me before. I've never gained weight while exercising. I may not have lost weight, but I've never gained. Cue the disillusionment, self pity, and the inevitable eating binge that goes with it all. It lasted for about a day, and I decided that weight loss isn't going magically start overnight. Also, exercising when you're 25 and when you're 29 is a huge difference. Your metabolic rate, for example, slows down considerably. Things that you could eat at 25 without worrying about putting any weight are your biggest enemy at 29.

The good thing is that I'm learning. Self discipline is the most important thing while you're exercising. Discipline to make sure you're exercising regularly. Discipline to make you're not eating the wrong kind of food. I lose a battle with discipline almost every day. I bought these really delicious chocolates from Singapore, and I've eating a few of them almost every day. Each day, I promise myself that this will be the last. Every day, I break that promise to myself. I'm hoping with this blog, I have an obligation to report my daily feedings, and I'd be awfully embarrassed to report I had ten kisses today.

Here's what I've been doing on the exercise front since I got back from Singapore. I landed late night on Thursday, July 7. I went to the gym on Friday. Did about 50 minutes of cardio. Most on the treadmill and cross trainer. I find that I can jog quite comfortably for 6 to 8 minutes at 7.2 km/hr. I've been having a bit of trouble jogging before I left. I'm pretty glad that my stamina seems to have improved. I went on Saturday again. Did another 45 minutes. Sunday was a break. Monday I went for yoga at 9:15. It was relatively doable. Did about half an hour of cardio after that. I did that fat burning thing on the treadmill where you sprint really fast for minute, walk for three minutes. It was pretty good. Tuesday, I went for a Body Balance class. Body Balance is supposed to be a combination of Tai Chi, Pilates and Yoga. You know, for a class that is mostly stretches and poses, it was tough. Did another half an hour of cardio after that.

Now, one of my favorite classes at the gym is the Bollywood Aerobics. It's a one hour cardio intensive workout, and I'd been looking forward to the doing an entire one hour of cardio. I'd gone for two classes before I left and couldn't complete the class. Took a ten minute break in between. I was looking forward to seeing if I could finish the entire hour with my slightly improved stamina. The class was at 8:00 a.m. which means that I have to wake up at 6:30 a.m. And, with the kind of weather Bangalore has been having, nobody likes to wake up early. I did get up on time though. But, found out that my right eye was swollen. Promptly went back to sleep and found myself tired for the rest of the day.

Now, my worry is that I'm not doing enough strength training. Cardio is well and good. But, without any weight training, weight loss is going to be very difficult. The gym offers a Body pump class that uses weights. The classes are all at difficult times, except for one at 8 a.m. on Tuesday and 3:45 p.m. on Sunday. If I miss these classes, (like I did with Tuesday's class) I'll have to do weights on my own. Something I'm not really looking forward. The gym is just full of trainers at all time, and I have a feeling they're just going to be judgmental. It's just something I have to get over.

Tomorrow, looks like there's a yoga class I can attend at 10:15, and I can probably do a full hour of cardio after that. Or maybe I'll do some weights and then a full hour of cardio. Possibilities, possibilities. The one thing I do know is that I'm not having anymore chocolates. If I have to throw them in the bin myself...I will.

Comments

Popular Posts