Murakami Reading challenge

I'm not much of a non-fiction book reader. I really am not. I don't like reading biographies, self help books, those boring management books. None of them. In fact, my favorite genre is fantasy. As far away from non fiction as you can get.

You can say that I was apprehensive when I picked out 'Underground' by Haruki Murakami. But, it's Murakami after all. I have to read all his books. I normally don't write my name or the date that I bought the book on most of my books. But, I had for this one. October 09 apparently. So, it's taken me a while to finally read the book.

The book is about the Tokyo Gas tragedy that happened in the subway in the nineties. I haven't actually read up about the tragedy. What I can make out from the book so far is that members of some cult called 'Aum' planned and carried out the attacks simultaneously on different trains. I still don't know the purpose, but all claim to have been brainwashed by their leader. Also, none of them were even hurt in the process.

Murakami tries to uncover the story by interviewing the people who were involved in the attack, were at the subway on that day, were in the station. Anyone was affected at all. It's turning out to be an extremely read, and I'm surprised because I didn't think that non fiction would captivate me like this. I guess, sometimes, reality is better than fiction. I can't wait to finish the rest of the book.

Today's Beautiful Secret: It's hard to think of beautiful secrets when you're not in the best of moods, but here goes: I love how red nail polish looks on my toe nails.

Comments

  1. 'Underground' was my first read and has become one of my favorites. I started 'Dance, Dance, Dance' but discontinued after sometime. Need to read that one again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts