Me Myself

I love spending time with myself, by myself, whatever you want to call it. In fact, the person whose company I enjoy the most is probably me. I think I'm interesting, funny, charming, and I definitely know how to keep myself entertained. Of course, there are days when I need to go out and spend time with other people. But, it happens maybe once in three or four weeks, and I just need that one day. I suppose some people may view this as being anti social, but is it really all that bad wanting to spend time with yourself?

I remember there was a point in my life when I was pretty uncomfortable with this concept. I was 12 years old and saw this person eating at a restaurant by himself. And, I thought, oh my God, that's so sad. I'm never going to do that. The first time I wanted to do it, I thought everybody in the restaurant was looking at me and judging me, thinking that I had no friends or that I was weird. My first step in getting over that was to go for a movie by myself. My reasoning has and will always be that I go to watch a movie for the movie. I don't see why it has to be an event. I don't see why I have to include people. I want to watch a movie, I'm going to watch it. If you think about it, you're not going to talk to somebody during the movie, so you basically just need someone to a) accompany you to the cinema b) buy your movie ticket c) give you a ride home or d) all of the above. I don't see why I can't do any of these things by myself especially when I'm perfectly capable of doing all these things by myself.

Now, going for a holiday by myself took a lot more convincing. I was pretty scared, nervous, apprehensive. In fact, I still feel those things before going on a solo trip. But, hey, you've just got to take the plunge.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was. I suppose, just embrace yourself, be comfortable about spending time alone, you might actually begin to like yourself. Not to say that spending all this time alone has made me fall in love with myself, but I think I'm getting there. Slowly. One movie, one meal, one trip at a time.

Comments

Popular Posts