Would you...


I follow this talented photographer on Instagram, @brandenharvey. He's from the United States. I'm not sure where exactly because my geography of the United States is quite limited, and he keeps moving around. He does these little story portraits of people he meets and some of people he knows quite well. It's an interesting account to follow. Much like HONY but on a much smaller scale.

Anyway, he posted this photograph of this couple a few days ago. Apparently, the guy wanted to propose to his girlfriend of six months. So, he flew her to NYC for a holiday, telling her it was just a pit stop and that they were going somewhere else. He hired the photographer, Branden, to follow them around incognito from the airport and throughout the day in NYC so that he could capture all these truly candid moments. The girl had no idea the photographer was following them around. Finally, he took her to Central Park and proposed, and of course, the photographer was there to document it.


Central Park in the snow. I imagine this is what it looked like.

When I first read this story, I thought, "oh cute proposal story", and I thought nothing more of it. 

The next day, there was a part 2 of the story though. The guy apparently flew all their family and friends to NYC and made them surprise her in their hotel room. When I read about part 2 though, the first thought that popped into my head was 'I don't think anyone's going to love me enough to give me a proposal like that. Maybe if I looked like her, I could get someone to love me enough."

And, five second later, I felt horrible for thinking this terrible thought. Because try as I might to feel good about myself and to be good to myself, these thoughts just creep in at unexpected moments. 

The truth is, Hollywood and television shows have romanticized 'the proposal,' and I'm not saying that I wouldn't love a big proposal. But, if I meet a guy who I fall in love with and who loves me back and we decide we want to spend the rest of our lives together, I think that would be enough for me. I KNOW that would be enough for me. So, for me to measure my self worth based on someone else's love story is not an incredibly constructive way to spend my time when I could be watching proposal videos instead.

P.S. This one is my favourite.



Comments

Popular Posts