I would like to be unapologetic about the fact that I'm always looking for love. It feels like such a taboo for a strong, independent woman to admit to the world that she's looking for love. We should be so focused on our careers and other intellectual pursuits that a man is the last thing we need.

You don't know how many people have told me: you should stop looking, and it will just come to you.

That is the most useless piece of advice I've ever heard. How do you just stop looking for it? Okay, so today, I'm not going to think about it for three hours. Tomorrow, I'll make it four.

A friend of mine told me that it actually means to fill your life with so many other things that make you happy that you don't really have time to think about love. I grudgingly admit that it makes sense. But, I think that nothing is going to make me as happy as falling in love. I'm sorry, but I haven't been in love for more than six years now. I haven't even been in a serious relationship for the same amount of time. It feels like so long ago; I don't even remember what it felt like. So forgive me for thinking that falling in love holds the key to my happiness.

I admit that distractions are nice. I like my new job. I love my dogs. I like my volunteer work. None of these distract from the fact that I'm single for the time being. I'm not being a cynic, you know. I'm not claiming that I'm never going to fall in love and that I'm going to die alone. I know that's not going to happen. But, in the meantime, while waiting for this wonderful guy to show up, I'm never going to stop looking for him.



Comments

Popular Posts