Back to Basics

I've decided to make this foray back into the blogging world without any fanfare. Not like the last time when I announced proudly that I was back from the dead. I mean, I literally, called my blog post Lazarus. Talk about fanfare. Obviously, that proved difficult to live up to. So, here I am, making a humble attempt yet again one year later. I don't have a specific topic to talk about except maybe writing itself. I've been trying to categorize my writing style, but I can't seem to get very specific. I think it's definitely casual with a limited vocabulary. But, I can't think of any genres in literature that are suitable for casualy writing.

I've wanted to write a book ever since I was a little book. In fact, I even wrote a book when I was about 11 years old. I don't remember how many pages or much of the plot. But, it was a very Nancy Drew inspired detective story. Set in some small town in the US. Can you believe that? Gosh, we're so naive when we're children. We think that by reading books and watching movies and TV shows, we're so aware of what it is like to live in a small town in the United States. This was, of course, way before the internet, so my exposure was quite limited. I wrote everything by hand, in a notebook. My dear mother actually got someone to type it out. I think she wanted to send it to a publishing house, but nothing every came of it. I'm not really sure where it is right now.

(This is how I imagined my heroine)

I absolutely love fantasy fiction. It's my absolute favorite type of fiction. But, I'm afraid that I don't have the imagination to write a fantasy book. I've been reading a lot of YA fantasy fiction lately, and these books are just lovely. They are so rich in description and characterization, and to be honest, I'm not that kind of a writer. Like all other aspects of my life, I am an impatient writer. I like writing short stories that are, well, short. I recently applied for a Writing Workshop course, and one of the requirements to apply was to submit a literary work you've written between 1000-2000 words. I obviously don't have any pieces with me, so I wrote one from scratch. Within 45 minutes. And, I tried to stretch it to 1000 words because that was the minimum requirement, but I just couldn't. After editing the story, I was finally at 800 words. I submitted it in any case and was fairly certain I'd get rejected because I didn't meet the minimum requirement. But, what do you know? They wrote back, and I was selected.

So, I'm going to attend my first session this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it. All the reviews and testimonials that I've read have mentioned that it's an extremely intensive course. Not one where you can just show up and leave. I'm ready to get intense. It's an 8-week course spread over 8 Saturdays. I'm hoping that my writing style will get more well-defined, and I will know what kind of book I can write. Maybe I can finally publish something that other people can read.



Comments

Popular Posts